A Personal Reflection...What is YOUR Equation to Success?

It's been awhile since I've put my thoughts on this blog, and I'm disappointed that it has taken so long. Since the last blog I have experienced some really great things that deserved to be written about. These things include another phenomenal year with the WolfPack including another regional championship/World Series birth, being witness to our guys making something great of themselves (committing to great schools, All-Americans, Gold Gloves, school records, milestones, uplifting moments), a team coming together in an amazing way, and other things I've learned about the game with the help of the players I get to coach.

Life takes many turns, time goes by really fast, and we can all become distracted. It's easier than ever to get off kilter and remove yourself from the things that work so well for you. This blog is just one of the things that works well for me because I can slow things down, think deeply, and grow. It's not about how many people read the blog, it is about me being able to go through this process for my own growth. If others read it and find value...great.

Of course there are other things that factor into my equation of success, not just the blog. It’s up to me to understand what those things are...many times with the help of others who understand me and can hold me accountable. All I know is when I am going right I crave information both professionally and personally. I'm always looking for other ways to grow to ultimately help those around me flourish as well. I just went on vacation, and it was a great opportunity for me to recharge, breathe, read, critique myself, and learn/grow. I needed it. Things have been going great for me personally, but even with those things I knew that I was a little off. This won't be the last time this happens...why? Because it is LIFE. Just when you feel right and are thriving, there will be something new to figure out about yourself. Life is not a straight road, instead, it is a curvy/hilly trek. The most important thing is to be self-aware of the things that work in your equation of success, and get yourself back when you realize you are a little off...also self-awareness. The successful people know what works for them, they know what makes them tic...but most importantly they give themselves the TIME to figure their equation out.

Here are just some things I figured out about myself on vacation:
1) I need to spend more time on myself again. The most important thing to me is that the guys I get to work with thrive...and they get put into a position to accomplish their goals. This is a messy/different process for each guy, and it is fun to figure out. I have found that I get so consumed with helping others, that I tend to forget about myself. I heard this quote and it made me realize I may have been going about it wrong even with the right intentions, "you want to help people, you want to make a difference...but what makes you make the difference is the continued pursuit of who you are becoming." By continuously pursuing something greater within myself...I then allow myself to naturally accomplish helping those around me. It's not forced, it's just natural, and it's more powerful.
2) I tell my guys all the time "the most successful people in the world know how to talk to themselves the best." I think I need to get back to that myself. I need to continue to hold myself accountable, and even get tough with myself when I feel like I'm getting off kilter. I know I can be good at this... I know it's there, it's just time to bring it back.
3) I need to find some balance. I do believe the most successful people seem to think differently, operate differently...and even are obsessed with finding the answers in their work. I also think that it's important to have an opportunity to find balance in our lives. Stepping back and letting the mind focus on something else allows the excitement and hunger to remain forceful when we are in our environment of "work." I don't think I have found enough balance.

As I've said, even with me holding myself accountable and knowing I've been a little off...I have not done all that bad. Some would even say I've been "successful." But that is the constant question, "What is success?" For me, it's the constant search for something bigger and better. It's "the obsession for personal growth." It's holding myself accountable and knowing that I can be better. It's knowing what makes me tic, or my equation that had helped me become the coach I am to this point. It's being self-aware. It's loving yourself by giving yourself what you need. This won't just be smooth sailing after one vacation of finding self-awareness...as I said it will be a constant battle, a curvy/hilly trek to remain consistent as life takes its course.

"The toughest thing to do in life is be consistent in how you operate and show up everyday." I look forward to that challenge.

What is your equation for success? How are you going to remain true to your equation? Be prepared...because it won't always come easy.

Thanks for reading,

Coach Burm

Comments